News from Bendicks
Today we still pay the same attention to detail at our factory as we did when our chocolates were made in a tiny basement beneath our shop in Kensington.
We created our Bendicks Mint Collection - the most premium selection of after-dinner mints perfect for entertaining and gifting.
Our unrivalled reputation for excellence was recognised when we were awarded a Royal Warrant by Her Majesty the Queen in 1962. A prestigious stamp of quality that has adorned every one of our beautifully distinctive chocolate boxes ever since.
By 1933, Bendicks was developing an enviable reputation for quality and a new store was opened in the heart of London’s exclusive Mayfair. The rich, the beautiful and the fashionable flocked to our doors.
This was where, in 1931, Lucia Benson, our founder’s sister-in-law created a remarkable new mint chocolate recipe. Our quest for chocolate perfection led to the development of a mint fondant which was thickly covered in a 95% cocoa solids chocolate. We named it the Bittermint, now our most famous mint, and a phenomenon from the start.
Our story began in 1930, when Mr Oscar Benson and Colonel ‘Bertie’ Dickson acquired a small confectionery business at the unassuming address of 184 Church Street, in Kensington, London.